Purple Onion Catering Company is an award winning, full-service caterer providing visually-stunning custom catered events to the Washington DC area. Our success is based on a dedicated staff committed to the spirit of our Core Values: Perseverance, Resourcefulness, Respect, Reliability, a sense of Calm, and a commitment to be a Team Player. We are currently seeking an Executive Chef to lead our team of talented and committed kitchen staff.
• Direct and oversee the operations of the kitchen including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, cost control and sanitation
• Train and supervise staff
• Set, communicate and enforce kitchen standards and expectations.
• Provide guidance and direction to line management in setting and monitoring performance standards.
• Train, develop and motivate team to meet and exceed established food preparation standards on a consistent basis
• Provide guidance and oversee scheduling activities
• Advocate for and communicate Corporate Core Values to lead and influence kitchen staff
• Understand all kitchen positions
• Oversee the completion of administration tasks including time and attendance, employee hires, disciplinary actions, terminations and changes
• Provide guidance and oversee food procurement activities
• Arrange for equipment maintenance, repair and replacement
• Create and update menus to maximize profits and minimize loss
• Test and develop recipes
• Demonstrate sound financial/business decision making
To be successful in this role you should
• Have a Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts
• Have 3 years kitchen management experience
• Possess an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations
• Be capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with
The work environment is that of a typical high end, heavy volume kitchen. You will be expected to operate various kitchen equipment. You must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted. You must be able to communicate in English and being bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is a plus when combined with other skills noted in the description.
Purple Onion Catering Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that embraces the diversity within our workforce. We offer a competitive compensation plan, bonus opportunities, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance programs, 401k, and Paid Time Off to our Full Time Regular employees after respective wait times. On most days lunch is prepared for Staff. We enjoy periodic team building outings, and an annual Holiday gathering.